What education did the Lincoln boys receive?
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
What education did the Lincoln boys receive?
Did the Lincoln boys-Robert, Willie, and Tad go to public schools in Springfield? Or did they have private schooling? Or were they home schooled? And after the move to Washington- what was the arrangement for their continued education? I had never really thought about that most important part of their lives before.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: What education did the Lincoln boys receive?
Bill, this is just a small fragment of an answer.

Back in Chicago after the assassination, Tad attended the Brown School. While there he became the editor of the Brown School Holiday Budget. It contained lots of material such as articles on whether or not Santa Claus existed, wit and humor columns, poems, weather reports, and a school enrollment directory. I believe the Chicago History Museum has a copy of it.

While in Frankfurt, Germany, Tad attended school at Dr. Johann Heinrich Hohagen's Institute. Tad boarded at the school. Among the topics he studied were German, French, English, and drawing. Tad also took dancing lessons while in Germany.
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Roger: I would think that Abraham and Mary must have placed a high priority on education-especially Mary who was so well educated herself. Thanks for the info you provided on Tad after the assassination. What was there education while in Springfield?

Bill Nash
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 09:59 AM by RJNorton.)
Robert attended an academy operated by a man named Abel W. Estabrook. Then Robert enrolled in the Illinois State University in Springfield which was a preparatory school with four instructors. Apparently, the studies weren't difficult. In Robert's own words, "We did just what pleased us, study consuming only a very small portion of our time."

I believe Willie also attended a private school named Miss Corcoran's School. Tad may have attended briefly, too, but I think that is unclear.

I wish I had more, Bill, but that's about the extent I have.
07-27-2012, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 01:09 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
(07-27-2012 08:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Bill, this is just a small fragment of an answer.

Back in Chicago after the assassination, Tad attended the Brown School. While there he became the editor of the Brown School Holiday Budget. It contained lots of material such as articles on whether or not Santa Claus existed, wit and humor columns, poems, weather reports, and a school enrollment directory. I believe the Chicago History Museum has a copy of it.

While in Frankfurt, Germany, Tad attended school at Dr. Johann Heinrich Hohagen's Institute. Tad boarded at the school. Among the topics he studied were German, French, English, and drawing. Tad also took dancing lessons while in Germany.

The Brown School in Chicago, where Tad attended, was torn down in 1956. There is currently a William H. Brown Elementary School located on or near the site of Tad's school at the corner of Hermitage and Warren, but I am not sure if there is a name connection between the two schools.

Roger, every time I try to reply to a particular post by hitting the "reply" tab on that post, it will not work--so I use quick reply. Am I doing something wrong?
07-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Joe, I am still somewhat befuddled by the software. There are still lots of things I have not been able to figure out. I have tried to download and install some plugins, such as a spell check, but have had no success. This is SO different from my regular website and the code I use for that. Lincoln said something like events were controlling him, rather than vice-versa...well, that's the way I feel about the software. I have never attempted a forum prior to starting this one about 3 weeks ago. I used this software because it was recommended by the host company for my regular Lincoln website.

All I ever use is the NEW REPLY button no matter whom I am replying to or what I am saying. So I have not been using the button you are referring to. But the NEW REPLY button always has worked for me.

Possibly someone else can answer this.
07-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Roger, thanks. I will continue to use New Reply. In a somewhat Manichean sense one side of me would like to be more proficient with the technology but, one the other side, am just as glad to NOT know how to use it!
07-27-2012, 04:01 PM
So far it sounds like the boys were afforded a private education? If they went to any schools in Springfield-I wonder if they still exist.

Bill Nash
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Didn't Tad have a tutor while in the White House? Wasn't that who took him to Grover's Theatre the night of the assassination?
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I thought Tom Pendel brought him. I think he had a tutor, but I've also heard of a "nurse" who had to dress him.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm finding two answers to who accompanied Tad to Grover's Theatre that night - one says "his tutor," and the other says Alphonso Dunn, the White House doorkeeper. And the search continues.....
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Maybe I'm confusing the two. Was it Dunn who took him to Grover's and Pendel who put him to bed and laid down with him until he finally calmed down?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-28-2012, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2012 05:28 AM by RJNorton.)
I hate to confuse things, but I have read at least 6 different versions of Tad and Grover's.

Who accompanied him?

1. His tutor.

2. Alphonso Donn or Dunn (one of the group of Metropolitan Washington police officers assigned to the White House).

How did Tad find out his dad had been shot?

1. Someone rushed up the aisle, whispered what happened into the tutor's (or Donn's) ear, and Tad was rushed out of the theater before a general announcement was made to the audience.

2. A man rushed into the theater and yelled the tragic news to the entire audience with Tad still present.

3. An actor or manager went on stage and announced to the crowd that Lincoln had been shot with Tad still present.

4. A combination of 2 and 3.
07-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Willie and Tad had a tutor in the White House, Alexander Williamson. Williamson's efforts were in full effect before Willie's death in 1862. Thereafter, I think Tad received little education during the White House years, and Williamson was rewarded for his loyalty to the Lincoln family with other government posts. Wayne Temple has done exhaustive research on Williamson which was printed by the Lincoln Fellowship of Wisconsin in their Special Bulletin 1 in 1997 under the title "Alexander Williamson: Friend of the Lincolns." This excellent pamphlet is still available directly from Dr. Temple, or from Prairie Archive in Springfield, Illinois.
07-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Dan, I am so glad you mentioned Dr. Temple. He is such a highly-respected scholar and author. His Abraham Lincoln, From Skeptic to Prophet is my personal favorite, but all his works are excellent.

In his new bio of Robert Lincoln, Jason Emerson describes how Williamson was interrupted by news of the assassination as he was getting ready for bed. This means Williamson was not the person who accompanied Tad to Grover's. Looks to me like it was Alphonso D.