The Death of a Loved One
10-19-2013, 07:47 PM
The Death of a Loved One
We have discussed the psychological effects that the deaths of children had on Abraham and Mary Lincoln, Edwin Stanton, and Jefferson Davis. However, I just stumbled on an article about the 1863 death of Gen. Sherman's son that should fit in that same category because it became an obsession with the General during much of the final phases of the war.

I hope that this link will work: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...arus&_r=0.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2013, 05:43 AM
RE: The Death of a Loved One
Thanks for posting this, Laurie. The link works, and that is a very moving article.
10-20-2013, 07:40 AM
What a heart-breaking story. We must all never take for granted this precious thing we call "life" - and those we love and cherish. "Life is but a vapor..."

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2013, 08:13 PM
A very sad and moving story. I am sure that during this long and terrible war there were many like stories from people not known by name but the hurt of a love one dying was no less painful. Enjoy and cherish your love ones each and every day because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Best to all. Gary
11-03-2013, 11:26 AM
I haven't been on at all the past couple of months but the heading of this thread drew me. Sadly I have had my own personal experience with death of loved ones the past 5 weeks. My mom quite ununexpectedly passed away 37 days ago and my dad, already in declining health missed her fiercely. My siblings and I had the sacred,sweet,difficult experience of caring for him these past 37 days as we cried, remembered, laughed, and mourned with him and each other. Last Sunday he called us all there and told us he was ready to join her and we all said our goodbyes and expressed our love and gratitude to and for this great family patriarch who had quietly done good his whole life.
He told each of us that be loved us. His last words to us were that night, words of faith, words of love, words of hope. As I sat at his bedside on Halloween night, my mom's birthday, and read scriptures to him late into the quiet night, I was so grateful for my mom and dad. Especially for the deep faith and love they taught their seven children. Dads prayers were answered as he quietly slipped beyond the veil and joined my mom yesterday morning. A very hard day for us but a glorious reunion for them. The world is a much better place because they lived.
11-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Christine,

Please know that you have the thoughts and prayers of your friends on this forum as you go through the grieving process. To bear a double burden at one time is so hard, but it sounds like your wise father prepared you well. Please take care and extend our sympathies to your family.

Laurie
11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Christine,

Please accept my sincere condolences at your loss. You can take comfort in your memories of your mother and father, and the fact that you enjoy good memories of both makes it a blessing. As long as we keep our loved ones in our memory, no one can ever take them away from us again.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm so sorry for your losses Christine, but by the way you worded your post, I think you're doing very well after such terrible sorrow. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-03-2013, 02:10 PM
What a beautiful post, Christine, that you wrote in honor of your parents.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
11-04-2013, 08:00 PM
A death of a "loved one" takes it's toal even when you know it's going to happen.My wife died in Hospice Care-3yrs ago of Dementia.We all grieve differently,My 43yr old handicaped Son has chosen Alcohol.My 42yr old daughter and I have taken the counseling route.One of the best ways to cope is to talk about it.I still meet every Monday and Thursday for breakfast with my counselor.Christine-Thanks for sharing your story.
11-18-2013, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 07:30 PM by Christine.)
Thank you all for your kind words Smile To add to our stress we have a son in the Philippines on a mission, and finally received word on the morning of my dad's funeral that he was safe. What a relief!! One of the cities he served in for 6 months has had nearly all the structures destroyed! He only had lots of wind and rain and flooding in Iloilo
. He sent pictures of the service he is doing now - packing and loading food and supplies onto trucks for the Philippine military to take to some of the hardest hit areas. Hopefully when the areas are safe he and the other missionaries will be allowed to help clean up the destroyed areas and build new homes.
11-18-2013, 07:36 PM
I know that everyone joins me in thanking God for the safety of your son and also him for the relief efforts that he will be making. It is so heart-breaking to see the devastation that those poor people have to contend with as well as the horrible loss of life.

I'm worried about some of our friends on this forum. Hopefully, those of you in the Midwest and other places hit with the tornadoes and severe storms have weathered them well and all are safe. Please check in and let us know that you are okay.
11-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks for your concern about those of us in the Midwest, Laurie. I can report that, at least here in Des Moines, IA we were not hit by any tornadoes or suffer any major damage that was weather-related.
11-19-2013, 06:04 AM
I, too was worried about Dave Taylor's family and others who lived in Illinois, Kentucky and Kansas; Art Loux, etc.....

I pray everyone is safe....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-19-2013, 06:21 AM
I also add my hopes and prayers for those affected by the storms. As many on the forum know I am a huge Bears' fan, and I was deeply involved in watching the action, and suddenly the game was delayed nearly two hours on Sunday. I have never seen anything like it; I was worried a tornado would hit Soldier Field with 60,000+ people in it. They were all warned to take cover. Vicki and I used to live in the Chicago-area, and these types of storms didn't hit in November!