Lincoln assassination podcast
07-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Lincoln assassination podcast
I don't know how many here listen to podcasts, but I am a big fan of them. They are great for working in the yard, reading on the back porch, or on a trip out of town. There are all sorts of shows to choose from in various categories. Some of my history favorites are "Stuff You Missed In History" and "History Banter." Check them out on iTunes podcasts.

It gave me the idea to see if anyone would have an interest in a Lincoln assassination podcast. I confess to not knowing the logistics of producing one, but it cannot be difficult (or expensive) and there are so many topics concerning the assassination that would be great to discuss. I could just envision getting Jim on to discuss the current resting place of notable persons related to the assassination, Bill Santo and (in my dream) Mike Kauffman to discuss the debate over where Booth broke his leg, Betty to discuss Lewis Powell and whether he accompanied Davy to Seward's home, Dave to discuss the excellent bothiebarn.com, Laurie to discuss Mrs. Surratt and her guilt/innocence, Roger to discuss his wonderful website, etc. As with the Surratt Courier, there are nearly endless topics to discuss.

The podcast would certainly not be for profit, but I would imagine there would be a large audience of folks who would love to hear these topics discuss. I know that I sure would. It would also be wonderful to get these issues/topics preserved for history. I know nothing about the podcast business, but would be happy to head this up if there was an interest from some of the experts here to join me on the "show".

I raise this as a suggestion. If there is any interest, I would love to pursue this. Your thoughts?

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2013, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013 06:57 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Lincoln assassination podcast
Heath -

Are you aware of Barry Cauchon's excellent, A Little Touch of History? URL: http://awesometalks.wordpress.com/

Both John and Barry have an excellent Facebook page, Inside the Walls regarding their discoveries and research on their book - all related to the trial, execution, etc. at the Arsenal.

Barry has pod casts and in the past has featured myself, Laurie, Ed Steers, etc. amongst others - they are excellent! Check it out! He has the casts listed on his site -

Thanks for the info!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
07-19-2013, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013 07:08 PM by John E..)
(07-19-2013 06:05 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I don't know how many here listen to podcasts, but I am a big fan of them. They are great for working in the yard, reading on the back porch, or on a trip out of town. There are all sorts of shows to choose from in various categories. Some of my history favorites are "Stuff You Missed In History" and "History Banter." Check them out on iTunes podcasts.

It gave me the idea to see if anyone would have an interest in a Lincoln assassination podcast. I confess to not knowing the logistics of producing one, but it cannot be difficult (or expensive) and there are so many topics concerning the assassination that would be great to discuss. I could just envision getting Jim on to discuss the current resting place of notable persons related to the assassination, Bill Santo and (in my dream) Mike Kauffman to discuss the debate over where Booth broke his leg, Betty to discuss Lewis Powell and whether he accompanied Davy to Seward's home, Dave to discuss the excellent bothiebarn.com, Laurie to discuss Mrs. Surratt and her guilt/innocence, Roger to discuss his wonderful website, etc. As with the Surratt Courier, there are nearly endless topics to discuss.

The podcast would certainly not be for profit, but I would imagine there would be a large audience of folks who would love to hear these topics discuss. I know that I sure would. It would also be wonderful to get these issues/topics preserved for history. I know nothing about the podcast business, but would be happy to head this up if there was an interest from some of the experts here to join me on the "show".

I raise this as a suggestion. If there is any interest, I would love to pursue this. Your thoughts?

Heath

Hello Heath,

That would be a great idea. My co-author and friend Barry used to do interviews for his awesometalk blog. I've asked him to do it once again after our website is up.

Barry has interviewed a few people from our research community already: Betty Ownsbey, Ed Steers, Laurie Verge, myself and Steven G. Miller. I apologize if I'm leaving anyone out. I have to go back and see what I talked about, I can't even remember.

In any case, variety is the spice of life and as we approach the 150th anniversary, more mainstream interest will be given to this topic. I encourage you and whoever else out there to start one up. Dave Taylor, Bob Summers, Wesley Harris, Mike Kauffman, Erik Jendresen and others would be great "gets".

UPDATE: So, I went back and searched and it looks like Barry also interview our very own Roger Norton as well as Ed Isaacs, Harold Holzer and Andy Jampoler. He also has some non-assassination interviews as well. Way to go Barry!

C'mon Heath! We need more. Go for it!
07-19-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I was unaware of John and Barry's podcast. I can't wait to listen to them and I have 1,000 ideas for future topics if they are still being produced.

Heath
07-19-2013, 11:23 PM
(07-19-2013 07:06 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I'm embarrassed to admit that I was unaware of John and Barry's podcast. I can't wait to listen to them and I have 1,000 ideas for future topics if they are still being produced.

Heath

No need to be embarrassed. Barry hasn't done an interview in a while and I've never done one. It's a matter of time and unfortunately he's been very busy. I'm sure he'll chime in soon and let you know what his plans are.
07-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I will subscribe to this podcast immediately if ever becomes available. Make sure and put it on itunes so that it will be as easy as possible to sync to my phone. Wink

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
That sounds awesome. I would definitely listen to that. If you're ever in need of a nineteen year old history major/conspiracy researcher, I would be honored to lend a hand (or one of my conspiracy related college research papers).