Betting on Booth
07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Betting on Booth
Ladies and gents,

Here is a funny little article that I found while perusing the Chronicling America database. Apparently a gentleman over in India waged a bet that John Wilkes Booth was still alive. It is from the Bolivar Bulletin from Feb, 02, 1867.

Craig

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Boothalivewager.pdf (Size: 825.08 KB / Downloads: 10)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: Betting on Booth
Wonder if that money is still in the safe of a hotel in India? That is also the second time today that the C.S.S. Shenandoah has been mentioned. I believe that Barry or John related it to James Waddell/Wardell and now William Martin Tolbert is mentioned with the Shenandoah in this article.

Bill Richter, refresh our memories on the C.S.S. Shenandoah, please.
07-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Laurie, That would be funny if it was! 500 pounds back in those days was quite a sum!

Craig
07-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Thirty years ago I conducted extensive research in what I call "The Postmortem Career of John Wilkes Booth." Read my article at: http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbooth.html

Yes, there was a mummy claiming to be Booth, and NO it WAS NOT Booth.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
07-08-2013, 05:31 AM
(07-08-2013 12:48 AM)historybuff22 Wrote:  Thirty years ago I conducted extensive research in what I call "The Postmortem Career of John Wilkes Booth." Read my article at: http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbooth.html

Yes, there was a mummy claiming to be Booth, and NO it WAS NOT Booth.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Rick, that's a great article. Thanks for posting the link. Additionally, Dave Taylor, on his wonderful blog, has posted lots of photos of the mummy that was not Booth.
07-09-2013, 09:32 PM
The Booth Mummy would make a great addition to the Mummies of the World Exhibit. It would definitely create talk! My wife and I saw this last year when it came to Charlotte.

Craig
07-10-2013, 07:56 AM
(07-07-2013 08:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Wonder if that money is still in the safe of a hotel in India? That is also the second time today that the C.S.S. Shenandoah has been mentioned. I believe that Barry or John related it to James Waddell/Wardell and now William Martin Tolbert is mentioned with the Shenandoah in this article.

Bill Richter, refresh our memories on the C.S.S. Shenandoah, please.

The SCV Camp in Annapolis in named in his honor. Waddell is buried in Annapolis.
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I checked on Waddell briefly the other day after posting. He and the Shenandoah were in England in April of 1865. Interesting man.