Shake Hands With Lincoln
07-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Shake Hands With Lincoln
When I was teaching "Rochester and The Civil War" a man in his 90's came up to me and shook my hand.He said that when he was in elementary school the Superintendant of schools would come to each school and shake hands with every student the first week of school.He told the students that he was a Col.in the Civil War.He shook hands with Lincoln.Thus,you have now shaken hands with a man who shook hands with Lincoln!So,I can proudly say that I shook hands with a man,who shook hands with a man that shook hands with Lincoln!For me that was a "boost"and Thus,I would shake the hands of everyone of my students on the first day of school.Then I would tell them the STORY and keep passing it on!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 08:43 AM
RE: Shake Hands With Lincoln
This is a wonderful story, Herb. Thank you for sharing!
07-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Awesome Herb. Again, this story is yet another illustration that we today are not really so far removed from Lincoln and his era. Story also reminds me of the last man alive who saw Lincoln in his coffin. That gentleman passed away in 1963.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
[Image: img0255150x150.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm shaking hands with Lincoln!!!

Can anyone guess where I am in this photo?

Bill Nash
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 03:43 PM by RJNorton.)
Bill, I have no clue, but because you live in Michigan, I will guess you were at the Henry Ford Museum.
08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Roger: yes it is in Michigan and is in a museum-but not the Henry Ford Museum. Hint: is the name Weldon Petz known to you or others of the Forum?

Bill Nash
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Yes, I am familar with the name Weldon Petz!
Here's my "Lincoln" connection story . . . . In the late 1990's, I became friends with Mary G. Townsend Murphy. She was the daughter of William Townsend - a Lincoln scholar, collector, and the attorney for the family of Emilie Todd Helm. Mrs. Murphy had known Emilie (she was 14 years old when Emilie died) and all of the Helm children. Mrs. Murhpy even lived with Elodie Helm Lewis after all of the other Helms had passed away. The first time, I was hugged by Mrs. Murhpy, I realized that I had just been hugged by the woman who was hugged by Emilie Todd Helm - who was a member of, and embraced by the entire Lincoln family.
08-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Donna, that is a great story! I hope Herb sees it.

So, Bill, you were at the Plymouth Historical Society & Museum which is located in Plymouth, Michigan.
08-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Roger you're are right on! Dr. Weldon Peltz was a life-long Lincoln student, scholar, and collector. He donated much (if not all?) of his Lincoln collection to the Plymouth Museum for a permanent exhibit. On one of the walls inside the exhibit is the mural depicting Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln with a host of others. Lincoln is seen extending his hand-allowing for photo opportunities for visitors. Dr. Peltz passed away a year or so ago. He was a guest presenter on Lincoln at various places. I heard him speak several times and communicated with him every once in a while. Part of my connection with him was that he was a fellow member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

Bill Nash