Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-09-2013, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 07:48 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
First question for Joe - In 1862, when Lee freed his wife's slaves, were there just eight counties of Virginia that were not under Union control? That might have been true later, but Virginia has 100+ counties - and the Yankees kept pulling in and out a lot. If you're right, I apologize for bad information.

Second is a comment to support both Gene and Betty. There are appropriate comments for your inappropriate ones, Liz; but as a proper Southern lady, I shall refrain from using them. I would, however, suggest that you read at least the first three chapters of A VAST AND FIENDISH PLOT by Clint Johnson in order to start considering some of the blame that can be placed on Northerners for the continuance of slavery. And, make sure that you start with the role that New York State and City played. To quote just one line at the end of Chapter 3: "On the issue of continuing slavery in the South, New York would support the South."

And yes, the author has a boatload of documentation for his comments. He cites sources and statistics for both sides, not venomous personal opinions. Slavery was wrong over thousands of years and civilizations, and it continues wrong today. Are you active in U.S. organizations that continue to fight the practice in Third World nations?

(06-09-2013 03:54 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  Laurie,

I believe only 8 counties in Virginia were exempt from the provisions of the Emancipation Proclamation. Otherwise, a state then in rebellion against the United States would have the proclamation in force, with the military to recognize those held in bondage as now free and treated as such by the military authorities.

Joe

Virginia was named, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties then in the process of forming the new state of West Virginia, and seven additional counties and two cities in the Union-controlled Tidewater region. I also erred in the number of counties in Virginia at that time -- 95, not 100+

(06-09-2013 06:58 PM)HerbS Wrote:  Liz,Genocide is one thing,and The Civil War was another,along with Native Americans sent to"trust lands".The Neisi experiment with the Japanese was for National Security reason.Lincoln and Lee were emancipators,Hitler was an Exterminator and a drug adict.Need we go on and on with this Jiberish?

Herb,

You were posting as I was posting, so I'm just reading your comments. Thank you, sir. You have hit the nail on the head with precision and few words. God bless you - especially for your use of the last word.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - L Verge - 06-09-2013 07:13 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM