Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-09-2013, 07:44 AM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
Well, I traced back the article I referred to. It was in 2009 ( yes, time flies!). The February 2009 issue of Civil War Times. The author is not Gary Gallagher, it's Elizabeth Brown Pryor. Her article: Robert E. Lee and Slavery explores the issues and content of this thread using Lee's own letters. It's too lengthy to go into here but is a "must-read" for anyone interested in the topic. I will include this quote for consideration from the article:
"Remarkably, some biographers have labeled Lee an "emancipator" despite the clear record of his actions and beliefs. How can this be? I think the answer is rooted in the longing people have for their idols to be great in every way, rather than ordinary than ordinary or imperfect. As heroes become iconic figures, people also want to attach their aspirations to them, in a process sociologists call "transference." In their zeal, they hope their leaders will represent not only what they are as a society, but what they would like to be. It is fascinating and telling that Southerners have wanted Lee to represent-the better self they want him to be- is an anti avert leader."

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - LincolnMan - 06-09-2013 07:44 AM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM