** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 06:24 PM by John E..)
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO
(07-15-2013 05:27 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I believe that we are dealing with a problem in semantics - When we ask "Did they take a photograph of Booth?", because that can have two meanings. 1. Did they take a "Portrait" of Booth?. Ans. NO!
2. Did they take a photograph of the "Autopsy"? Ans. YES!
We do have that sketch of the autopsy, that is said to have been based on a photograph of Booth on the plank table aboard the Monitor - and was used in the newspapers.
Thus, Yes, we have a photograph of Booth. No, we do not have a photograph of Booth. Both answers are correct.

I believe (based on evidence) that the only photos taken that day on board the Montauk, were of David Herold.

The Harper's Weekly illustration of the autopsy was an artist's rendering and not taken from a photograph.

The other illustration we have of the autopsy DID NOT come from Frank Leslie's Illustrated (As stated in They Have Killed Papa Dead) but from the book "The United States Secret Service In The Late War" published in 1889. See page 367.

I don't believe James A. Wardell ever existed. IF he did, his story contains enough omissions and errors to make me believe it was false.

Lawrence Gardner's reminisces contain information that most people were not aware of until recently. Specifically, that there were multiple photo sessions and not just one on April 27, 1865.

The evidence is overwhelming in my opinion and puts this ages old debate to rest. I'm convinced that some people will not change their minds on the matter and will continue to speculate on the photo's whereabouts. Count me out! I'm done keeping my eyes open for the elusive and mythical photograph.

(07-15-2013 06:06 PM)Gene C Wrote:  According to Wardell/Kautz, he was with the photographers assistant throughout the development process and took the print & plate negative striaight to the War Dept and gave it to Col. Baker. So when and how did the sketch artist get a chance to look at it. Did Wardell dis-obey Stanton's orders and let them look at it?

Hi Gene,

Small correction - The spelling is Katz, not Kautz. As you probably know, Kautz was actually one of the nine commission members who decided the fates of the conspirators on trial.

P.S. - I recognize the path you are going down with your comments and observations. Its the same one which led me to believe the Wardell letter was false BEFORE I came across the Lawrence Gardner article.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Hess1865 - 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Rhatkinson - 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Hess1865 - 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Rhatkinson - 07-12-2013, 09:23 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Rhatkinson - 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - John E. - 07-15-2013 06:17 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Rhatkinson - 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM
RE: ** NEW DISCOVERY REGARDING BOOTH AUTOPSY PHOTO - Hess1865 - 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM