History in Leather - Abraham Lincoln's White House
05-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Photo History in Leather - Abraham Lincoln's White House
So I'm an excited wife...bear with me. Smile My husband has begun a new venture over the past year. He found that he is able to take a piece of regular cowhide leather, custom dye it, and then hand etch (with a regular pocket knife or exacto kinfe) pictures into the leather. (He never uses stamps to create any of his work. Each stroke is hand etched out!) He has done many pictures over the last year, but today he finally finished one of his first pieces in a series that is heading more towards a Civil War and history path. I am sharing it here because I think it is exquisite and unique and I thought you all would enjoy seeing it.

It's 20 1/2" x 15 1/2". He used 3 different dyes in order to signify the dark shadows, the blood shed, and the challenges that Lincoln faced during his presidency. The etching also shows the Cassius M. Clay Battalion defending Abraham Lincoln's White House in April of 1861 at the beginning of the war. Hope you all enjoy it!

[Image: photo-14.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
History in Leather - Abraham Lincoln's White House - dlguyer17 - 05-17-2013 07:28 AM