Show us your Lincoln collectables!
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 12:03 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables!
[Image: 003xfg.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really don't have many "collectibles" when it comes to Lincoln, but this little figurine is what sparked my interest. In 1969, my father, then aged 39, died from a massive heart attack. My mother was left to raise four children (I was the youngest at age 5) on her own. She had to work, but wanted to be home when we got home from school, so she went to beauty school, became a beautician, and opened up a shop in our house. She had to go to Springfield to take her state boards, and brought this back for me. From that moment on, I determined to learn all I could about that person. When Mom would "complain" about all the books I owned, I would come back at her with "it's your fault. You bought me the Lincoln statue." She would always smile.

As an aside, the Collected Works which the statue is sitting in front of is also a gift from her, although she doesn't know it. After she died in 2003, I took part of the money she left me and bought the series, along with several other Lincoln books that I otherwise could not have afforded.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Rob Wick - 08-19-2012 12:01 PM
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Hess1865 - 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM