Mary's education
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
RE: Mary's education
I think the "English" education refers to the type of curriculum enjoyed by students in England. I have no idea what that entailed in the 1830s, however.

French has been considered the universal language in matters of government and culture for centuries (until lately). Boarding school would have meant that the students stayed there and received meals. I believe Mary was unhappy with her stepmother, so maybe she appreciated being away at school - even if it was in the same town.

We have a receipt for Mary Jenkins's (Surratt) education at the boarding school run by the Sisters of Charity in nearby Alexandria, Virginia. Off the top of my head, I can't remember specific courses, but I do remember that they seemed quite extensive for a young country girl.

There is also a receipt for daughter Anna's tuition at the boarding school run by the sisters Martin in Bryantown. I do recall that she appears to have excelled at music and French. She also had the traditional girls' education in the arts of the needle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mary's education - Donna McCreary - 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
RE: Mary's education - LincolnMan - 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
RE: Mary's education - Laurie Verge - 03-21-2013 09:54 AM
RE: Mary's education - Donna McCreary - 03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: Mary's education - RJNorton - 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Mary's education - Donna McCreary - 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM