Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
03-03-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 06:44 PM by MaddieM.)
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
(02-18-2013 01:44 AM)asobbingfilm Wrote:  Sadly I think Ive gotten to the point where I'm convinced that no treatment under 2 hours can do the story justice. Thats my standard complaint, it seems every version is just to short. Of course holding an audience is tough over 2 hours esp on a Sunday evening. But it was SO MUCH better than most of the other versions I have seen. The look and dress of the conspirators was really great as was the look of Fords Theater inside and out. I myself could have done without Tom Hanks although he did a good job,it just messed up the pacing. Most dissapointed not to see anything on Mary Surratt really. I understand that there have to be commercials in the TV world but towards the end they seemed a bit much. The DVD/Netflix version will fix that problem. Overall I just wasn't blown away by it the way I had hoped to be, but Im glad to see anyone willing to invest in telling this story and bring it to a new audience. I give it 3.5 out of 5. Id like to see a Gone with the Wind length version on the big screen someday.

I've finally managed to watch this, and yes, I agree with the above, there just never seems to be enough time to do full justice to the characters, though this is focused on Booth who I thought was really well played. All the actors were very good and well cast... though I'm sure I read somewhere that JWB shaved off his tash before he got shot!

I loved the costuming and the general feel of the production, and my only real gripe was not enough time spent on the conspirators as people, but this never seems to be done and I guess the only way round that is to make movies/documentaries about each individual. They were after all, human beings, who came to where they were at that terrible time through winding roads, poor choices and circumstances often beyond their control. I would have liked to have at least seen the horror on Lewis Powell's face when he realised what he'd done, all the regret and contrition he said he felt as he left the Seward house.

I thought Josh Murray gave a very solid performance in portraying the strong silent, dependable and almost relentless demeanour of Powell. Whoever played George Atzerodt looked the spit of him. Davy Herold was suitably simple and Lincoln was played really well and just how I imagine Lincoln would have been.

Overall, I thought it was great.

Did anyone else notice JWB's hat fly off when he galloped away from the stables?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - MaddieM - 03-03-2013 06:39 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM