Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
02-26-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 11:53 AM by barryssentials.)
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
Hey Erik. Absolutely. What I meant by safe interpretations is the tried and true accepted versions of some historical events. I did not mean this as a slight in anyway. I think with new research and findings happening all the time, sometimes it is difficult to change the most generally accepted interpretation of history. Unless the new information is rock solid, it is up to the individual who is using it to present what they feel is right for them on their project. I think you were in the right to present everything as you did.
For me, I just have a few 'new' beliefs that differ from the way the story has been told in the past. I don't think your presentation was wrong in anyway, shape or form. My only comment is that some of the interpretations used in the documentary differed from mine. Big deal. Viva la difference!!!!!
I love the fact that we all have different interpretations of history. That is what makes the research game so wonderful and why we keep finding new things to explore and discuss. I will be happy to clarify this point with anyone who is concerned about my comments. No one can claim that their version of history is absolute. I guess my belief system of history comes off very 'preachy' and for that I really do apologize. It is not my proudest writing style. But I believe that the truth will never be found in just one version of history. I honor anyone who steps forward and tries to give their point-of-view as long as it's not a complete fabrication.
Bottom line for me....you did a great job on the documentary. I honestly mean that. I haven't seen the research community so happy in years. Smile. I look forward to speaking to you more about this if you like.
Sincerely
Barry

One last note. I think my choice of using the word safe was ill-chosen but I do appreciate that you chose a direction that seemed most likely for your point-of-view. The other thing is that I should not have done was to speak for the production. I just dread when reporters make that statement when in fact, they had nothing to do with it. So for that, I apologize for falling into that trap.
B
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - barryssentials - 02-26-2013 11:47 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM