1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin'
02-24-2013, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 07:51 PM by L Verge.)
RE: 1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin'
Yes indeed, honeysuckle juice is delicious. My family home had lots of honeysuckle vines on the perimeter of the surrounding woods. Mom also trained the vines to go up telephone wires, etc. There is also a red honeysuckle that is delicious, but you have to beat the hummingbirds to those blossoms.

My old property is now abandoned, but there are blackberry vines all over the place - again, you have to beat the birds to them. I love blackberry pie, but I hate blackberry thorns.

Anyone ever pick wild strawberries? Every now and then, the birds distribute seeds in my mulched flower beds, and I get an extra bonus during late-May. As a child, we would go to a 19th-century graveyard near our home to pick these wild goodies. There was also an abandoned plantation home about three miles away that had great ones. I called it Mockingbird Hill because the mockingbird guard dog would throw temper tantrums while we were there. During the Civil War, the plantation belonged to the Griffin family. One of the Mudd descendants, Sydney Mudd who became a U.S. Congressman, married a Griffin daughter and lived there for awhile.

Told you I was nostalgic today. I also bet that you can tell that I hate modern development.

I forgot to mention stripping off twigs of sassafras and chewing on the ends.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin' - L Verge - 02-24-2013 07:50 PM