1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin'
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 06:13 PM by Jim Page.)
RE: 1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin'
(02-15-2013 03:51 PM)MaddieM Wrote:  Here in the UK we have Hotel Chocolat... which is the BEST finest quality you can get here.

Maddie, I wish I could remember the brand, but I was reading a British mystery several months ago and they described some brand of chocolate in such mouth-watering detail that I went to a couple of stores trying to find some. No luck!

I settled for a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk and a bar of Gharadelli's Milk & Caramel to get me through the weekend.

I was bouncing off the walls after all that!

--Jim

(02-15-2013 03:56 PM)Dawn E Foster Wrote:  I always buy dark chocolate and romaine or spinach . . .

Dawn, I've often wondered how much things have changes since I got out of the grocery business in the early 1980s. At that time, the president of this grocery firm, which was an upscale biggie, predicted to me that all produce sold in the year 2000 would be frozen! He sincerely thought that fresh produce would be as seldom seen in supermarkets as raw milk.

I do know that bibb, Boston, endive, escarole and leaf lettuces were marginal sellers, at best. In some stores, romaine and fresh spinach would sell in moderate volumes, but iceberg would outsell them 67 cases to one, if I remember the numbers correctly.

As for arugula, I was heavily involved in the produce side of the business for 14 years and never heard of it!

Weird, huh?

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860s Period Foods - Including Good Down Home Eatin' - Jim Page - 02-15-2013 05:56 PM