A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 08:27 PM by BettyO.)
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
(07-14-2012 07:57 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I wasn't under the impression that Powell took "Mosby" as an alias. I thought it was nickname that others gave him? The alias of "Payne" was taken from the General's family wasn't it and was actually contrived by either reporters or authorities who tried to tie the Confederate general to the assassination?

Lewis Powell never took the alias of "Mosby" - that was a nickname that Atzerodt had given him; apparently because Powell spoke so much about him. He DID use the names of others who rode with Mosby as aliases; to wit: Kincheloe at the Herndon House, and one or two others (one of which I just found out about recently and will reveal at the Conference)....

The name of "Payne" was taken by Powell from the name of his hosts, the family of General William H. Payne as he told Gillette that he took that name so that his parents would not know what he was involved in...." The press then attempted to tie him in with the Kentucky Payne brothers as well as the name being utilized in an attempt to defame General William H. Payne.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-14-2012 08:25 PM