A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 03:10 PM by BettyO.)
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
Apparently Powell did have quite a "following" by ladies attending the trial - I have repeated reports where they were quite interested in him - much to his embarrassment.

[Image: lewblusheswashingtoneve.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regarding the ladies' reactions to Lew in the prisoner's dock - I don't understand that either - not at that time period. One usually thinks of young ladies in the Victorian era as sedate and modest - yet here they are, swarming over the prisoners as they come and go into the courtroom, making comments about Powell and more or less some of the other prisoners as well.

Granted, Powell was clothed in simply a Navy issue undershirt. This in itself was considered quite scandalous for the time. The other boys in the dock were "respectfully" dressed and did not garner as much attention, apparently!
The ladies may have assumed that Powell's dress had a lot to do with his personality; not aware that his own clothing was being utilized as evidence. Although he was strikingly handsome, his "costume" could have been the main attraction for many a "young lady." I doubt Victorian women knew much about being "groupies"! Rolleyes

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-13-2012 02:49 PM