Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
03-05-2016, 06:15 AM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Thanks, Eva. Personally I think it's possible Lincoln was taking blue mass as early as the 1840s. In 1841 Lincoln apparently wrote Dr. Charles Drake in Cincinnati, described his "hypochondriasis," sought advice, but received the reply that the doctor could not prescribe any treatment without a personal interview with Lincoln. Certainly it's conceivable one of Lincoln's druggist friends in Springfeld, such as Roland Diller, was providing Lincoln with blue mass (perhaps "off the books"). Dr. Wallace, who was part owner of the drug store for a time, could have been involved in Lincoln obtaining the blue mass. This is all speculation on my part, but I am guessing Lincoln was taking it long before 1861. I think it's possible Lincoln saw blue mass as a medicine for almost any sort of physical or mental "ill feeling."

There is good evidence Lincoln was able to find sources for medicine when he wanted. Here is a letter to Lincoln dated April 3, 1861, from Samuel H. Melvin, a physician and owner of the largest medical and pharmaceutical supply business in Springfield:

Hon A. Lincoln Washington City DC
Dear Sir

I only arrived at home this morn-having been detained in Ohio longer than I expected. I now hasten to send you the Pills as requested. I send you 5 boxes made by Mr Canedy and one box of my own manufacture.

"Mr. Canedy" is Peleg Coffin Canedy, a Springfield pharmacist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 03-05-2016 06:15 AM