The Emancipation Proclamation: "A Poor Document, But a Mighty Act"
01-05-2013, 06:34 AM
RE: The Emancipation Proclamation: "A Poor Document, But a Mighty Act"
Quote:Sadly, the document burned in the Chicago fire of 1871.

Here is Samuel Stone's own account of his unsuccessful attempt to save the proclamation from the fire:

"I immediately hastened down to the reception-room to get. the record book, and the Lincoln proclamation, which had been deposited there for safekeeping by the Soldiers' Home, to whom it belonged. Not finding the record, I attempted to break the frame of the proclamation and take it out. But the frame was so stout it was not easily done, and just as I was making the attempt, there came another blast of fire and smoke, filling the whole heavens, and frightfully dashing firebrands against the reception-room window. I heard at the same time a chinking sound overhead, probably from the breaking in of the window or falling of the roof. Believing that a minute more in trying to save the proclamation would make it too late for my escape, I made for the basement- door, stamped out the fire from two bundles, pulled away the trunk, and attempted to go out, but the suffocating smoke outside prevented. I tore open a third smoldering bundle, snatched from it a shawl — a camel's hair it was — covered my head, and sprang out with as much speed as possible. Glancing around, I could see the steps overhead, the sidewalks, front fences, Mr. Girard's cottage, and every building south, one mass of flames, while firebrands were flying in every direction. My only way of escape was by the rear of Mr. Girard's cottage. I had no time for the gate, but with a bound sprang over the low picket-fence into North-Dearborn Street."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Emancipation Proclamation: "A Poor Document, But a Mighty Act" - RJNorton - 01-05-2013 06:34 AM