What Was The Role of David Herold
04-19-2013, 03:35 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(04-19-2013 02:07 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 01:55 PM)wsanto Wrote:  The clincher for me is that Fletcher testifys that Cobb was going to let him across without a pass but wouldn't let him return.

It seems pretty evident that Cobb was letting anyone across into Maryland without a pass that night as long as they looked reasonble and had a satisfactory reason for crossing.

Also the fact that the court did not pursue any line of questioning concerning passes, curfew, etc. with Cobb is evident that Cobb's actions were acceptable if not routine.

I disagree.

Cobb had testified BEFORE Fletcher. Fletcher could have just as easily got it wrong. He never said that Cobb said 'Yes' . As I read it Cobb answered his question 'Can I Cross" with another question. 'How will you get back?'. After explaining the rules Fletcher may have thought he made the decision not to cross but in reality Cobb never told him that he would pass him.

You are correct that the court did not pursue any line of questioning concerning passes, curfew, etc.. Probably because Cobb's testimony had nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the conspirators.
This is a cut and paste of the part of Fletcher's testimony that deals with his interaction with Cobb.

...I then returned to the stable for a saddle and bridle and horse myself. I got a horse, and went along the avenue until came to Thirteenth Street; went up Thirteenth Street to E, along E until I came to Ninth, and turned down Ninth Street to Pennsylvania Avenue again. I went along the avenue to the south side of the Capitol. I there met a gentleman coming down; and I asked him if he saw any men going up there, riding on horseback. He said yes, and that they were riding very fast. I did not ask him any more questions. I followed on until I got to the Navy-Yard Bridge; and the guard there halted me, and called for the sergeant of the guard of the heavy artillery, and he came out. I asked him if a road horse had crossed that bridge, giving him a description of the horse, saddle and bridle, and the man that was riding the horse. He said, ‘Yes: he has gone across that bridge.” Said I, “Did he stay long here?” He replied, “He said that he was waiting for an acquaintance of his that was coming on; but he did not wait; and another man came riding a bay horse or a bay mare, I do not know which, right after him.” Said I to the sergeant, “Did he tell you his name?”—“Yes,” said he: “he said his name was Smith.” I asked the sergeant if I could cross the bridge after them. He said, “Yes, you can cross the bridge; but you cannot return back.” I said, ‘If that is so, I will not go.” So I turned around, and came back to the city again....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - wsanto - 04-19-2013 03:35 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM