What Was The Role of David Herold
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
Powell certainly wanted to get out the house quickly but he was about to strike Seward again before Robinson stopped him.

This is from John Elliott and Barry Cauchon's article in the October 2010 issue of the Surratt Courier, "GEORGE FOSTER ROBINSON."

"Private Robinson’s most detailed account of his battle with Powell is housed at the Pearce Museum at Navarro College in Corsicana, TX

'As I stepped on the bed, Payne cut Mr. Seward for the first time, cutting down through his right cheek, (the one farthest from him) and the side of his neck, just missing the jugular vein, and with his arm raised for another blow, which I saw would reach Mr. Seward before mine could him. My only chance was to destroy the stroke, by catching his arm from behind as I stood over him. This I did, and he succeeded in only slightly cutting the neck on the side next to him, as I drew his arm back and pulled him off the bed. After I had caught his arm, I had no opportunity to strike with any effect, and the only chance was to foil him until help could come, but where from or how, I had no idea. As I was dragging him off from Mr. Seward and the bed, he struck over his shoulder at me, cutting my right shoulder to the bone in two places, only missing the large artery, by less than half an inch.'"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Linda Anderson - 04-16-2013 02:01 PM