What Was The Role of David Herold
04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(04-16-2013 10:16 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Maddie, that's a realistic theory. Now that you mention it, I don't remember reading much about him having a confrontational or combative attitude once he was caught. That ties into the fact that he was the "mystery man" throughout much of the trial. Since J Beckert was in law enforcement, I would be interested in his opinion

One must also take into account Powell's background, his childhood, the nurturing, strict but loving environment he was raised in, where religion played a large part in his life. He wasn't a yahoo, he was well brought up under family morals, and never displayed, other than having a hot temper, that he was psychopathic or had murderous tendancies; he certainly wasn't a text book killer, assassin, or a congenital fool.

He was tall, strong, courageous, a hardened soldier, perhaps bitter about the war, the loss of his brother, the way his life had panned out, I've no doubt it was this alone that allowed him to do the damage he did, but he was also vulnerable, young, and emotionally unsophisticated compared to the more worldly schemes of JWB. He made a terrible mistake due to naivete. I don't believe he was a killer. I believe if he had been, he would have killed Seward.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - MaddieM - 04-16-2013 11:32 AM