What Was The Role of David Herold
04-05-2013, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 01:35 PM by John Fazio.)
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(03-27-2013 04:55 AM)wsanto Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 08:01 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I pointed this out quite some time ago and was ignored. You and I may stand alone on this. I still think Herold was with Powell long enough to see Lew enter the Seward home and then headed off to check on Atzerodt and meet up with Booth.

I agree Laurie. I think Fletcher's testimony cleary has Herold riding away from Seward's house and heading down Pennsylvania Ave toward either the Kirkwood at 12th and Pennsylvania or possibly to the Navy Yard Bridge when he is surprised by Fletcher's confrontation near the Willard and gallops away in a different direction.

Mr. (or Ms.) Santo and Laurie:

It sounds plausible, but where is the evidence? I believe I have shown that there is a lot of evidence placing Herold elsewhere that night and none (or at least none original) placing him with Powell. As far as where and when he was seen by Fletcher, and the direction in which he was traveling, it seems to me that everything was so close (i.e Seward's Mansion, Willard's Hotel, the Treasury Building, Ford's Theatre, etc.), that Fletcher's observations fit as easily with Herold being at Ford's and then going to Willard's at the critical time as they fit with any other scenario.

John

(04-03-2013 03:11 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Many thanks to Art Loux for sending this interesting article. It comes from the Boston Daily Advertiser of July 8, 1865.

Art notes, "Shortly before his hanging Herold was quoted saying he “consented to see that Powell undertook his work” and then agreed to guide Booth and Powell through Maryland. See page 1 of attachments and the red marked paragraph. The reporter has garbled Herold’s words for certainly no one needed to “see” or assure Powell did his work. Whatever Herold's assignment it seems to have been with Powell. His sighting on 14th Street by stableman Fletcher is consistent with Herold coming from Seward’s house.

Also, the statement indicates Powell intended to go south with JWB rather than north to Baltimore."

[Image: newspaperherold.jpg]

Roger:

This is an exciting find, which, I must grant, throws a somewhat different light on the issue. It tends to support Laurie's and others' view that Herold at least saw to Powell's entry to the Seward mansion, believing, quite understandably, that he could take it from there, never dreaming that his revolver would misfire. Still, it must be said that there is still plenty of evidence against it, including the articles re Ben, the servant of Seward's neighbors, the Tahoes, and what he is reported to have seen that night.

If you can send the article as an attachment I shall be very grateful to you.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 04-05-2013 01:24 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM