What Was The Role of David Herold
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(03-05-2013 02:21 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Gene, here's what I have on the topic of Robert burning papers. Nicholas Murray Butler insisted in 1939 the date of the alleged burning of papers was 1923. This was a story in Butler's memoirs. Butler had gone to see Robert Lincoln at the insistence of Horace G. Young who had told him Robert was burning his father's papers. The problem with Butler's story is that Robert Lincoln had turned the papers over to the Library of Congress in 1919. Maybe there were some extra papers Lincoln didn't turn over in 1919. Maybe it never happened at all. Whether or not it did happen, one thing is for sure: no one, other than Robert himself, knew what papers were burned (if indeed they were burned at all). There is no way I know of that connects any of these alleged burned letters to be treason-related. I believe Jason Emerson feels Robert might have burned some papers that were private and family-related but had nothing to do with treason by a Cabinet member. I think Jason also feels Robert may also have burned some of his own papers. This is why I asked John about a source for Robert burning papers regarding treason by a Cabinet member; I am not aware of Robert ever saying this. But, if he really did, I am curious to know about it and where it came from.

Roger:

I tried to email something to Wild Bill Richter. He gave me his card at the conference and as I read it, his address is: williamrichter.com. But every time I try to email something to that address, I get a notice of nondelivery. Do you know his proper address? If so, please send it to me at: johncfazio@neohio.twcbc.com.

Thank you.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 03-20-2013 01:44 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM