What Was The Role of David Herold
02-18-2013, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 03:33 PM by John Fazio.)
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(02-18-2013 01:24 PM)L Verge Wrote:  John - Surratt skedaddled across the border from Elmira once the news of the assassination was learned. Personally, I believe that young Surratt had been pulled out of Washington under the command of Gen. E.G. Lee weeks before the murder and was not aware that Booth was now bent on assassination.

Since we're mentioning the name Wood - and no, my request does not necessarily coincide with Lewis Powell - but I really want someone to speculate on whether or not Fernando Wood, the Mayor of New York, was a good Lincoln man. There's just something about him that I don't like -- and I'm too lazy to do any research on him.

Laurie:

With great respect, Surratt returned to Washington from Richmond on or about April 3 and then left almost immediately for Montreal, arriving there and checking into the St. Lawrence Hall on April 6. How then can it be possible that Edwin Lee pulled him out of Washington "weeks before the murder"? Further, all the evidence we have supports the view that Surratt and Booth were working hand in glove with the conspiracy at least since December of 1864 and probably before inasmuch as both were with the Secret Service. We know, further, that Booth contacted Surratt while he was in Montreal, on or about April 10, two days after Harney was arrested, advising him that their "plans have changed" and ordering him back to Washington. How, then, can it be said he didn't know about the assassination plot? That position is also contrary to Ste. Marie's Affidavit. I hope to persuade you that Booth and Surratt always intended assassination, that "kidnapping" was merely a cover for their plot, and that Surratt was as much a part of the scheme as Booth was. Recall that Booth urged Powell to kill Lincoln on at least three occasions prior to April 14? How then can it be seriously believed that he intended only to kidnap him?

As for Fernando Wood, he was anti-Lincoln, anti-black, a friend of rich and powerful Copperheads, such as August Belmont, and even went as far as to urge the secession of the City of New York from the State of New York. He was, therefore, a troublemaker. Union and Emancipation owe him nothing.

John

(02-18-2013 01:28 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  That book really has some material that catches the eye. The author implies there were two separate conspiracies that night, and Seward was the victim of a separate conspiracy from the one which targeted Lincoln. Shelton says that Seward himself "had knowledge of and passive interest in the assassination of Lincoln." Shelton feels Seward was most likely the "Brutus" in the Neff/Baker ciphers.

Roger:

I read Shelton's book. He, together with Guttridge and Neff, and some would say Eisenschiml, are on the outer fringes. I accept none of their theories. Further, I observe that Ed Steers, a no-nonsense historian, is also disdainful of their works. There may be a nugget here and there, but overall, I believe they have lost their way.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 02-18-2013 03:24 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM