What Was The Role of David Herold
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(02-06-2013 09:06 AM)John E. Wrote:  Hi John,

I believe there was a kidnapping plot at one time. However, I think Booth abandoned that idea much earlier than he let on to the others.

Killing Lincoln didn't require that much help. If Booth wanted to accomplish that feat, he could have done so and probably gotten away with it. Why muddy the waters by getting so many others involved?

I haven't read your other work just yet, but do you also believe Booth intended to have Seward and Johnson killed as well ? Was Grant in the mix too? If so, perhaps that's why Booth tried to recruit others.

Kidnapping Lincoln may have had positive rewards at one time. An exchange for more troops or a favorable end to the war.

*Killing Lincoln alone was an end game with nothing to gain but revenge and the Union's wrath.

*Killing Lincoln, Seward and Johnson may have provided some tactical and strategic gains, but it was a hail-Mary attempt.

John:

I do not believe there was evr a kidnapping plot, at least not one organized by Booth, and probably no others either. Kidnapping was a bad idea. The Confederate leadership knew that.

He muddied the waters and involved others because he planned to kill many more than Lincoln, namely Johnson, Seward, Stanton and Grant, at least, and there is even evidence (though it is not strong) that Chase, Welles, Speed and Sherman were targeted.

What would have been the positive rewards? No one in the Federal Government would have negotiated with Richmond. What leverage did they then have? Would they have killed him? Mutilated him? Obviously not.

It WAS a hail-Mary, yes, but a hail-Mary is better than no pass at all.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 02-07-2013 09:29 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM