What Was The Role of David Herold
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 04:25 PM by L Verge.)
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
Booth and Herold did not cross the Long Bridge out of Washington. That would have taken them immediately into Union-held Virginia. They crossed on the opposite side of town - the Navy Yard Bridge. The location of that bridge has changed at least twice in my lifetime, but the route of the first one can clearly be seen on the Anacostia side of the river and leading straight to the dock areas of the Navy Yard. I am not good at judging distances, but I would guess that the original bridge was less than a quarter-mile.

The photo of it taken about the time of the Civil War is frequently shown in assassination books. Cobb was not the only soldier on duty that night, but he appears to be the watch commander at that point. Jerry already knows I have doubts about his theories, but I would like to add that the security had surely become less "secure" with all the celebrations going on. Also, the Navy Yard Bridge was the main entrance into the city for the truck farmers from Southern Maryland who came every day to sell their wares at the city's markets. Therefore, the guards were used to frequent traffic both ways on that bridge at various times of the day and night.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - L Verge - 02-02-2013 11:56 AM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM