Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial
12-30-2012, 07:51 AM
RE: Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial

(12-29-2012 05:48 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Roger,

To me at least, I think that sensationalism (definitely built to sell newspapers!) was a top priority at the time. Yes, a lot of the descriptions of the conspirators in the prisoner's dock were very much sensationalized to the point that if you actually saw the persons described that you would not be able to recognize them from the press reports - or so it would seem. Some of the most popular reports described the prisoners in minute detail - from their expressions, to their dress to their mannerisms, etc. and that is what I find so very, very interesting. A lot of coverage was given to the ladies who attended the trial - even those with a somewhat "scandalous" reputation; such as "female reporter" Jane Swisshelm to the dress of Dr. Mary Walker who attended much to the amusement of the prisoners in the dock.

Speaking of ladies attending the trial, Cary Delery of the Historical Shop had an original trial pass signed by Hunter. It was made out to, "Mr. McConnell and five ladies". He theorized they were there to show support for Mrs. Surratt. I think they were there for Lewis Powell
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial - Jim Garrett - 12-30-2012 07:51 AM