Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial
12-29-2012, 10:29 PM
RE: Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial
Here are some negative descriptions of the four conspirators who were hanged.

Philadelphia Inquirer, May 11, 1865
"Payne, the contract murderer from Canada"
"Mary Surratt, the female fiend incarnate"

New York Times May 15, 1865
"Looking again to the right, and omitting the alternate guard, we come to one of the most remarkable faces in the group; a face which, once seen, may never be forgotten; one whose moral status is readily determined by making a survey of his face...thin lips and slightly twisted mouth, curved unsymmetrically a little to the left of the middle line of the face; a wild, savage looking man, bearing no scientialla of culture or refinement -- the most perfect type of the ingrain, hardened criminal. The reader who has read newspaper descriptions of this man will not guess his name -- the very opposite of my picture is that which has been given to the public, and yet mine is a truthful pen-likeness and just estimate of LEWIS PAYNE, who has been represented in appearance as almost the reverse of what I have here stated. Those who look upon the criminal will agree with me that he is almost monstrum homendum."

Philadelphia Inquirer "Trial of the Assassins," May 16, 1865
"PAYNE Sits as erect as a statue, except when he leans over to converse with his counsel. Lieutenant-Colonal Doster, law partner of J.H. Paulston, who seems to take considerable interest in this vile wretch. His countenance exhibits the most wanton recklessness while the fiend seems to be engraven upon every feature."

"Atzeroth [sic] Is the most restless and nervous of anyone. His whole bearing indicates the craven coward, and the great wonder is that he was ever entrusted to do a great deed of blood that could not be done in the dark."

Boston Daily Advertiser, May 20, 1865
"Mrs. Surratt unveiled her face for the first time since the trial opened to enable a witness to identify her. She is rather a good-looking woman of her age, but wears a jaded and despairing expression. Herold has been induced to comb his hair and wash his face, and has less the aspect of an imbecile than he has worn heretofore."

Daily National Republican, June 16, 1865. "Payne was dressed in his mixed grey shirt and has the same, horrid unconcerned look...Mrs. Surratt still hides her guilty face with her fan and veil."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Media Coverage of the Conspiracy Trial - Linda Anderson - 12-29-2012 10:29 PM