The Truth about Abraham and Mary's Marriage
12-12-2012, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 11:55 PM by antiquefinder.)
RE: The Truth about Abraham and Mary's Marriage
(12-12-2012 07:42 PM)G ene C Wrote:  An interesting book is "The Lincolns - Portrait of a Marriage" by Daniel Mark Epstein.

I've read it, it's interesting, but there are a few things in it I didn't agree with. Mr. Epstein makes the argument that Lincoln may have had a STD, and that's the reason for the on and off again relation ship with Mary, and his hesitancy about marriage. I didn't buy into his reasoning on this. Other than that it was pretty interesting.

Gene C.- that's funny that you mentioned Abe's std. I have heard a few times that Abe told Herndon that he once had syphillis and was treated with mercury. Then allegedly Abe passed the disease on to Mary and that is why she was the way she was. I wonder if that could have been possible?

(12-12-2012 02:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Laurie describes the complexities of the relationship very well. Gloria, author Catherine Clinton has a fairly lengthy article that touches on many of your questions here.

I think Catherine Clinton's first sentence is very telling: "The puzzle of Mary Lincoln's relationship with her husband continues to fascinate and indeed perplex many, if not most, Lincoln scholars."

Gloria, you have a lot of company in trying to figure things out.

Roger- I just finished reading the article on their marriage and I guess we will never know the truth. What went on behind closed doors will stay there unless the four walls start talking. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Truth about Abraham and Mary's Marriage - antiquefinder - 12-12-2012 11:25 PM