Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
(11-14-2012 06:05 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Two silly questions from a stupid female who has never even held a gun of any kind: Would Booth choose a weapon like the deringer for the kill because its report would be "quieter?" He did time his deed with a line causing laughter from the audience to give him an advantage. I would think that a deringer popped where a revolver was louder. Then, as Joe pointed out, it was disposable where a revolver still had ammunition.

Also, if men carried revolvers frequently in those days, did they always use a holster? For some reason, I have assumed that Easterners especially kept them in pockets when in civilian dress.

Another question that I think Blaine Houmes answered at a Surratt conference, but I have forgotten. What is the damage done by a deringer in comparison to a revolver? I would assume small hole, less gore vs. large hole with large splatter? He was close to his target and would get dirty - as would Mrs. Lincoln. If one small gun inflicting one small, efficient hole gets the job done, I would go with it.

End of dumb blonde questions...

BTW: I got a phone call from my grandson (age 12) today who wanted me to know about a catalog called Betty's Attic that is featuring a replica of the Booth deringer in a display case. $99. There was a strong hint of Christmas present in his call - which I ignored.

The deringer was a 44 caliber, and was loaded with a 42 caliber round ball. The Colt "naval" revolver was a 36 caliber, actually smaller bore. The sound difference might not be that different. However the shot barrell, round ball and possibly less powder of the deringer would probably mean more damage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - Jim Garrett - 11-14-2012 06:38 PM