Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 06:07 PM by Laurie Verge.)
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
Two silly questions from a stupid female who has never even held a gun of any kind: Would Booth choose a weapon like the deringer for the kill because its report would be "quieter?" He did time his deed with a line causing laughter from the audience to give him an advantage. I would think that a deringer popped where a revolver was louder. Then, as Joe pointed out, it was disposable where a revolver still had ammunition.

Also, if men carried revolvers frequently in those days, did they always use a holster? For some reason, I have assumed that Easterners especially kept them in pockets when in civilian dress.

Another question that I think Blaine Houmes answered at a Surratt conference, but I have forgotten. What is the damage done by a deringer in comparison to a revolver? I would assume small hole, less gore vs. large hole with large splatter? He was close to his target and would get dirty - as would Mrs. Lincoln. If one small gun inflicting one small, efficient hole gets the job done, I would go with it.

End of dumb blonde questions...

BTW: I got a phone call from my grandson (age 12) today who wanted me to know about a catalog called Betty's Attic that is featuring a replica of the Booth deringer in a display case. $99. There was a strong hint of Christmas present in his call - which I ignored.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - Laurie Verge - 11-14-2012 06:05 PM