Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
I think you and Bill both come up with excellent theories, Jerry, and they're always very thought provoking, but I don't buy the boarding house stop minutes after shooting the President. It just seems improbable.

I can't see the holster and revolver being inseperable. Like I said earlier, it would be much more accessable in a coat pocket than under his coat in a holster. I'm sure he wouldn't stop to pick up an empty holster. Saddlebags? Herold had it? Who knows. My point (theory?) is that Booth was armed with more than a one shot pistol. Some folks make it sound as if those revolvers were so cumbersome it's like the equivilent of Booth rolling a gatling gun through the dress circle. They're just not that big. Two pounds and it will fit in your pocket. Easily concealed and an excellent insurance policy.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - J. Beckert - 11-14-2012 04:17 PM