Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
10-30-2012, 09:02 AM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
Thanks, John. Hope you fared the storm well; your section of the Northern Neck seems to get slammed by storms pretty hard.

Was the port Aquia? Was the station Brooke or Burke, Virginia? My great-uncle was killed in the fighting around the Weldon Railroad. The family never knew his fate until the 1980s, when James O. Hall and John C. Brennan found the information. We still don't know where he's buried.

Gene, Do look up Benjamin Franklin Stringfellow. He's one interesting character - another John S. Mosby and also from Virginia. I just know the basics about his exploits, but one source said that some Yankees considered him the dangerous man in the Confederacy. He has been described as a very small man and reminded me of another Confederate from Maryland who was tiny and pulled off a raid on Union ships dressed as The French Lady. His name was Richard Thomas Zarvona.

There used to be an SCV camp in Virginia named for Stringfellow. He and his wife are buried in Alexandria, Virginia. Zarvona is buried in Chaptico, Maryland. It's side characters like these that make the CW even more interesting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - L Verge - 10-30-2012 09:02 AM