Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 02:00 PM by Wesley Harris.)
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
(10-22-2012 01:52 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Laurie to John Fazio: And, exactly what verifies your statement that no one in the Mudd household would have given Booth the weapons? What about the doctor himself? I can't prove that he did, but I don't think you can prove that he didn't.

I can't prove Mudd didn't hand over the two pistols but I can provide a convincing argument that if he did, it's because one of Booth's cohorts had dropped them off earlier. Booth may have picked them up at Mudd's (which I doubt). I have pretty strong evidence they were part of the Booth's original arsenal that the conspirators had early on.

If you want to know how I know, come to the 2013 Surratt conference!

(10-26-2012 03:52 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  [quote='Art Loux' pid='6734' dateline='1351006119']
[quote='Laurie Verge' pid='6692' dateline='1350931711']
A man who examined the boot in 1925 wrote: "This is of well-worn black leather, 23 (maybe 28) inches long an approximately 20 inches in diameter at the top or thigh. The sole and heel together measure 11 inches outside, the sole at its greatest width ?? inches, and the sharply squared off toe is 2 1/2 inches. It is the boot for the left foot. The heel is intact at the outside, but is worn down about 1/4 inch at the inside and the same is true of the sole , indicating that when walking Booth turned his ankles in, and perhaps was inclined to be knock-kneed. [Yes, I know he was bowlegged] Inside, at the top, the boot is faced with smooth white calfskin for a distance down of 6 1/2 inches, where it joins the rough interior. At the front on this calfskin , some two inches below the top, is written in black ink, but very faintly, the name and address of the maker, and about an inch below this the name "J. Wilkes -----" From "New Interest in Booth Relics Keeps War Department Busy," Washington Star, Sunday Morning, May 17, 1925 by George M. Battey, Jr.

There is no mention of a pocket. I have another article which claims Booth used the boots for ice skating and there is a screw hole in the heel for mounting skates.
I have read an article that there is a pocket in the boot and that it's too small for even the Deringer. It was in the "Lincoln Log" or similar publication. I'll see if I made a copy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - Wesley Harris - 10-28-2012 01:53 PM