Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
(10-24-2012 09:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Can someone explain what the phrase "pray for my intentions" means? It is not a phrase I am familiar with. I was looking at Weichmann's book, and if the timing in Weichmann's book is correct, this reference comes shortly after the "mysterious" 9:00 P.M. visitor departed. Weichmann indicates Mrs. Surratt got very nervous after this visitor departed. At 9:30 I think Smoot found her in a state of feverish excitement and rushed him out the door. Mary then asked Weichmann to pray for her intentions. Is there any way this could be interpreted as her intention to hold on to Booth's stuff for a quick 10:30 pick up? When Weichmann indicated he didn't know what her intentions were she replied to pray for them anyway. She then chased everyone to their rooms. Weichmann says he was asleep when the president was shot. Do we know what Mrs. Surratt was doing at 10:30?

That is a Catholic request for prayer, I think Roger. I'm not Catholic, so don't really know, although I have a lot of Catholic friends (and Father K was one of my dearest friends) - so I think that is what it is in reference to.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - BettyO - 10-24-2012 10:48 AM