Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
Thanks Roger for re-asking my question about the possibility of the revolvers being hidden outside the Surratt house. Upon reflection, however, I think that while it could have been possible, given there was a back yard/alley where the privy was and where, we assume, Powell-as-laborer was supposedly going to dig a ditch. But, if Booth was high-tailing it out of the theater district, I would imagine that his horse would have made a heck of a lot of noise racing up the streets near the boarding house. Someone would have heard those hooves clacking - yes, no? I can't see him casually walking his horse up to the house. And, as was pointed out by someone else, who would have held his horse? Weichmann's room was also on the backside of the house - wouldn't he have heard someone? Just doesn't seem to fit. Plausible, yes, probable, no.
No one answered my question about why would Mary have bullet moulds and percussion caps in her dresser, though.
Booth's hat seems less of an issue. And I agree with Laurie, Mudd could have easily given Booth guns previously left there. It would also help explain even more so his hesitancy to reveal he had seen Booth that night. It's one thing to stabilize a broken leg, another to provide weapons. If Lloyd had provided them at the Surratt Tavern, why wouldn't he have testified to it like he did everything else? I don't recall Lloyd mentioning Herold going into the barn. Is this verified?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - KLarson - 10-22-2012 02:43 PM