Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
10-22-2012, 07:20 AM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
(10-21-2012 08:36 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm still recovering from the mention of the "Olegeezer in T.B.!" If that is a reference to great-grandpa Huntt, he was a Youngeezer of 28. I can only tell you what three generations of us Huntts have passed down. The Huntts did not own slaves - even though Eli's father did. I also have quite a few letters that Eli wrote to his wife ("Pretty Kitty"), while he was working as a tobacco merchant in Baltimore and she was living with his parents at "Mattawoman," the family plantation. This was before they moved into their own home in T.B.

The Baltimore Riot was going on, and Eli wrote to her that he would love her forever UNLESS he found out she was a secessionist. Most of Southern Maryland voted for Bell or Breckinridge in 1860. I have no idea whom the family would have voted for in 1864, but I'm betting it wasn't Lincoln.

My suspicions have always been that the safe house in T.B. was the hotel run by John Chandler Thompson. That's where Davey spent the night of March 17 after the aborted kidnapping. It was also a stop on the stage line with a livery stable right across the street. Chances are pretty good that Booth had stopped there at some point in his travels.

Since the statute of limitations has run out on conspiracy, I guess I can forget about being dragged before a military court??? Or, will it be the Lincoln Discussion Symposium vs. the heirs of Eli Huntt -- there's only three of us left?
Oh no Laurie, there's alot more of us on the symposium than 3.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - Jim Garrett - 10-22-2012 07:20 AM