Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination
Herold's role in the conspiracy seems to have been more of an outdoorsmen or guide, he was a good hunter and tracker, familiar with the Lower Maryland/ Virginia country. His role was to get Booth out of the city and into the South. If Herold's main purpose was to aid those involved after the assassinations, wouldn't it be plausable for him to have been the one equipped? Possibly carrying the guns? Personally I would have had someone waiting at Soper's Hill with a bag of supplies, or possibly have just stashed supplies there. To me it's one of the most important aspects of having a rendezvous point. I would also plan out additional checkpoints, like it seems they did, Surratsville Tavern and Mudd's House seem to both be planned stops. Obviously Herold was important to Booth, he waited for Herold at Soper's Hill. Once Herold joined Booth I don't recall them waiting around too long for Powell or Atzerodt. I think it is likely that Herold had the guns on him. I do not think it is likely that Booth stopped at the boarding house while fleeing Ford's. I know I wouldn't take any chances of word spreading and getting bottled up inside the city. I also think Booth could have easily tucked another hat inside his riding boots if needed.
All of the theories I have read have been fun and do make sense. All are possibilities and it's fun to get my mind spinning. Booth could have stopped at Surratt's, Booth could have been carrying guns on him and only used the Derringer because it was a gentleman's weapon, there could have been saddlebags or the guns stashed enroute. I just believe it to be simpler.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's visit to the Surratt Boarding House after the assassination - brtmchl - 02-12-2013 06:57 PM