Romanovs
07-19-2018, 09:35 PM
RE: Romanovs
(07-19-2018 07:22 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 11:47 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 09:22 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Full background information makes for wonderful teaching opportunities as to how to avoid future problems. "Cleanse" enough of a civilization's history and it fades away. IMO, we are already doing a good job of wiping out our heritage by the elimination of history and social studies in many of our schools and colleges.

from the book of Ecclesiastes, Chapter 1, verses 9-11

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them

No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them

If they allow me to teach and preach history long enough, I intend to inform future generations about the former generations... been doing it for nearly 60 years, and I ain't stoppin' now!

Thought I would pass along some information that I posted today on another blog since the subject relates to keeping history alive (as usual, I'm a tad verbose):

Just a quick sidebar that may inspire hope in those of us who think that full histories can be told and circumstances understood: As I type, Surratt House has over 50 county social studies teachers participating in a summer institute geared around how local history can be applied to county curriculums and, most importantly, applied to current issues nationwide.

Our museum has created a pilot program for that project that tells the story of the Civil War in Maryland, the choices that the Surratt family made, and the repercussions. Modern applications include the continuing struggle for civil rights (for various ethnic groups who have immigrated here for 300 years), the possibility of applying martial law, suspending the writ of habeas corpus, creating military tribunals in times of national emergencies — and even teaching the changing role of women in American history, which was bolstered by the Civil War and continues today.

Believe it or not, there are still folks who are interested in all facets of history, including the erection of statues and memorials as a backlash to rising civil rights movements that surged ahead because of the rebirth of race issues in the first quarter of the 20th century — and that rebirth led to the momentous changes that began in my generation of the 1950s-1970s and continues today. My point being that there is something to learn about every facet of history, and that is the point that I concentrated on as a used history teacher for the first decade of my professional life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Romanovs - RJNorton - 07-18-2018, 05:49 AM
RE: Romanovs - Steve - 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
RE: Romanovs - AussieMick - 07-18-2018, 08:52 PM
RE: Romanovs - L Verge - 07-19-2018, 09:22 AM
RE: Romanovs - Gene C - 07-19-2018, 11:47 AM
RE: Romanovs - L Verge - 07-19-2018, 07:22 PM
RE: Romanovs - L Verge - 07-19-2018 09:35 PM
RE: Romanovs - Gene C - 07-20-2018, 07:28 AM
RE: Romanovs - AussieMick - 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM