Construction at the Wok N Roll
09-29-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: Construction at the Wok N Roll
While the Surratt boarding house has had some significant changes over the years, (ground floor facade "modernized", ground floor addition on the back for the kitchen, original front door on second floor converted to a window, second floor partially removed), they are all reversable. I think it is remarkable that 150 yerts later, the building is readily recognizable. If you look at the building from across the street and concentrate on the building above the second floor, the appearance has changed very little.

A friend of mine just retired from the department of justice, and until recently, we made it a point to meet for lunch there almost every month for the past several years. Unfortunately monthly lunches at the Wok N Roll contributed to a steady expansion of the Jim Garrett unhistoric site (my body). Since May, I have been on a strict diet which excludes virtually everything from 6th and H St., and every other Chinese restaurant.

25 years ago, the neighborhood was a down trodden Chinatown. Now, the Verizon Center is a half block away (wiping out G St, the location of one of the stables associated with the assassination) and creating a boom to the economic and cultural redevelopement of the Penns Landing area. Laurie is 110% correct in that the site is worth a fortune. However, my guess is that it would be a big preservationist fight if there was ever an intention to tear down the building.

BTW, it's still Chinatown, just now it's not downtrodden.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Construction at the Wok N Roll - Jim Garrett - 09-29-2012 06:16 PM