Mary and the African American church
04-09-2018, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2018 03:40 PM by Donna McCreary.)
RE: Mary and the African American church
(04-07-2018 05:10 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  While researching this I came upon a web page with some colorized images I do not recall seeing before:

https://carlanthonyonline.com/2013/02/22...m-to-know/

I am quite skeptical about Mary Coakley at this point. Does anyone know where in Keckly's book there is a reference to Mary Lincoln employing other seamstresses in addition to Keckly? I would be interested in reading Keckly's exact words on this topic (apparently there is no mention of a Mary Coakley). Thanks.

Roger,
This is the article I found which mentions the comment about having everything done up in a grand style. I am still trying to find documentation for the quote.

It seems there was at least one more celebration held by an African American church on the White House Lawn. According to the WASHINGTON D.C. EVENING STAR (August 5, 1864), Mr. J. R. Pierre of the 3rd colored Baptist Sabbath school organized an event on the grounds between the Executive Mansion and the War Department. The event was held on August 4, 1864. The money raised from their event was used to purchase a banner for the school. It was to say, "Banner of Freedom."

Now I have found two events . . . and still no documentation for the quote.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary and the African American church - Donna McCreary - 04-09-2018 03:36 PM