"Battle Hymn of the Republic"
01-08-2018, 05:48 PM
RE: "Battle Hymn of the Republic"
That song is one of my favorites. Some of you know that I spent nearly 30 years as the organist in my hometown's Episcopal church (starting at age 12). Over the years, I had played that for offertories and as recessionals on Sundays near July 4th.

One Sunday, however, when I was in my 20s, I played a rousing version of it as the recessional as people were departing the church. After everyone had shaken the priest's hand and gone outside, the honorable reverend came stomping down the aisle with fire in his eyes. "Young lady, you will never play that piece in this church again as long as I am the rector." And off he went.

I learned later that the "gentleman" was born and raised in Georgia and that The Battle Hymn of the Republic was often sung by members of the Union forces under Sherman as they laid waste to the state.

I still love the song, and when I was teaching, our junior high had a wonderful choir of about 25 voices led by a very dynamic music teacher (a man who also coached sports). He taught them a beautiful rendition which highlighted a wide range of voices, especially in the ending bars. Those kids were so good that they were asked to record the song. Every time I heard it, I broke down in tears. If that priest had not moved on to another parish, I swear I would have secretly invited that choir to perform at a service in my church!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - L Verge - 01-08-2018 05:48 PM
RE: "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - kerry - 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM