Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary
01-09-2018, 08:07 PM
RE: Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary
I'm happy to agree with trouble in the North, and that brings into play Fernando Wood, the mayor of the city for the first two years of the war. He was definitely a Democrat and a Copperhead and called for the city to secede from the Union. Wood was in cahoots with Weed and the Tammany Hall gang. Even though I have found him "interesting," I have never followed his trail after he went out of office. Can anyone fill in the blanks?

The city had definite economic ties to the Confederacy, immigration problems, draft riots, and other things that kept them unhappy with Lincoln and the Republicans. I believe that the failed sabotage events on hotels and Barnum's Museum on November 25, 1864, were actually planned for Election Day that month instead, but were foiled by a double agent. Could Montgomery have been that agent, John?

I am also a big believer in Judah Benjamin being at least one (if not the chief) mastermind of most of the dirty work. If we could find some ties between him and Fernando Wood, I'd be a happy theorist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary - L Verge - 01-09-2018 08:07 PM