Lincoln's Unconstitutional Actions
01-04-2018, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 03:02 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: Lincoln's Unconstitutional Actions
If I may as an Australian stick my bib in here ... Lincoln's primary justification ( I believe) for the various actions mentioned was that he was Commander-in-Chief and could take those actions in emergency situations in the expectation that they would be later ratified by Congress (otherwise presumably he would face the consequences). Habeas Corpus (suspension of) was justified, he thought, because the nation was dealing with a rebellion by some individuals primarily located in some States (which still came under his jurisdiction as President).

Some of the issues bulletted above involve duplication and overlap. Some are simply obviously spurious. I leave it to others to address them ... but frankly I think many of them are too silly to waste time on.

Frankly (in my Australian opinion) only a few of the points could be debated with any strength against Lincoln. I very much doubt that any US court made of unbiased individuals would find him , as President, guilty of any constitutional crime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Unconstitutional Actions - AussieMick - 01-04-2018 06:43 AM