Thread Closed 
What makes a great politician?
12-29-2017, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 01:19 AM by AussieMick.)
RE: What makes a great politician?
(12-28-2017 09:41 PM)Gencor Wrote:  I don't think that it is that complicated. What makes a great President is his or her ability to communicate. As flawed as Bill Clinton was, as President, people loved him because he could communicate with them. They actually understood what he said. Another great attribute of a President is to be sincere. To mean what they say and say what they mean and follow up. To have a vision and make that vision something that everyone can see and believe in and then work to make it happen. The ability to bring people together for a greater cause. Dignity and treat everyone with respect. These are the simple qualities that make a great politician. Above all, the greatest politicians I have ever known all had humility.

thanks, Gencor. When I asked the question my aim was to assess Lincoln against the 'job selection critieria'. It would not be reasonable for him to score 10/10 on each (or any) ... and we'd all have our own scoring of him.
Your criteria seems to be as good as any. And I agree about communication. Love him or hate him, Ronald Reagan was a great communicator. Did he have humility ( I mean real humility)? Ronald Reagan?
I dont like giving anybody 10/10 , but Lincoln would have to get close to that on all your criteria.

You had 'work to make it happen'. Yes, but I think a great politician needs to have ability to choose subordinates that can be trusted to share the vision and to be able to work in the team. Lincoln would have to get 8/10 (but I cant think of any other politician getting as good as that).

I also think flexibility and pragmatism are essential. A great politician needs to be able to recognise risks, options, assumptions, their own and other people's weaknesses, and needs to be able to know what is possible and achievable. Needs to acknowledge errors and move on. I 'd give him 9/10.

I think Lincoln may have been almost too trusting of others and almost ... almost not ruthless enough (in the way of some of other great politicians). I choose the word 'almost' there because I think he was always aware of the abilities of others. Thats why he kept Seward even after the Sumpter Fort fiasco (sending the 'wrong' ship). Thats why he kept faith with McClellan for so long. Then theres other examples (debateable I'm sure). Hooker. Salmon Chase. It wasnt that he was too trusting. Rather that he knew their capabilities and that despite faults they could lead men and make decisions. So my use of 'almost' is the greatest compliment I can give to Lincoln on these issues (trust and ruthlessness) .

I'm sure he could be ruthless. His cancellation of death sentences of the Missouri Indians, but also enforcing 38. There would have been times when he could have commuted other sentences but didnt. His determination to crush the rebellion by any means possible. His ruthlessness was not unthinking though ... he knew what it involved and why it had to be.

Similarly with his trust in others ... he knew the risks involved and that his trust might be too much or turn out wrong.
I'd give him as near to 10/10 on trust and ruthlessness as its possible to get.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a great politician? - AussieMick - 12-29-2017 01:04 AM