Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
11-22-2017, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 01:00 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
Frankly, I think the idea of a memorial to Corbett is ridiculous (especially in this day when we are wiping out memorials to people with far more exemplary careers pre- and post-Civil War). At that stage of the pursuit, Booth was a goner anyhow. He could surrender, or he could stay in the barn and literally become toast.

I am one of those who is 99.9% certain that Corbett did shoot Booth, that he did not commit suicide. Rick's and Bill's title is COULD Booth have committed suicide - not DID Booth commit suicide - and if you read their article, they clearly state that they are only theorizing. I was friends with Dr. John K. Lattimer, who did extensive research on the possibilities of this, for far too long to reject his conclusions. The thought of someone shooting himself in the back of the neck instead of in the mouth or at the temple just doesn't cut it with me.

As for Corbett's mental problems before the Civil War, there is also extensive research in that field with much of it done by Steve Miller, an expert on Corbett and the 16th NY Cavalry. His problems appear to stem from his losing his wife and child in childbirth and his almost fanatical conversion to evangelical religion. His most famous escapade of self-castration is well covered in medical records from Massachusetts General Hospital, as quoted in Dr. Lattimer's book.

I will quibble also with John Stanton (aka SSlater) regarding Corbett disobeying orders to take Booth alive. I well remember James O. Hall telling us that he never found an order from Stanton, Baker, Doherty, or anyone else directing that Booth be taken alive. Has anyone else found something that Mr. Hall missed? It would seem to me that such an order would have been given on the night of April 14-15 and would have come directly from the Secretary of War.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett? - L Verge - 11-22-2017 11:23 AM