Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
05-26-2017, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 02:15 PM by SSlater.)
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
(05-26-2017 05:18 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Does Headley use the term "honorarium?" To me the word honorarium involves a payment for service. Why would the state of Kentucky want to pay Sarah Slater (who was not from Kentucky) for her service as a courier? Maybe I am missing something.
In this case - it was "payment for service", but it wasn't money. It was a respectful "pat on the back"

It is said that she provided a little T.L.C. to the prisoners in the form of Restaurant prepared food, mailing letters, delivering letters, etc. in addition to traveling from Montreal, to Richmond, at her own cost, to secure the documentation that showed that they were "preforming a Military Assignment, rather than a self-serving rampage."
(I do not support that explanation, since in most cases, the Raiders kept the money, stolen from the Banks, for their personal use. Raider Higbee moved to Texas and established a Bank. He was President of said bank -and lived happily thereafter - but not in Kentucky.

(05-26-2017 01:51 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 05:18 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Does Headley use the term "honorarium?" To me the word honorarium involves a payment for service. Why would the state of Kentucky want to pay Sarah Slater (who was not from Kentucky) for her service as a courier? Maybe I am missing something.
In this case - it was "payment for service", but it wasn't money. It was a respectful "pat on the back"

It is said that she provided a little T.L.C. to the prisoners in the form of Restaurant prepared food, mailing letters, delivering letters, etc. in addition to traveling from Montreal, to Richmond, at her own cost, to secure the documentation that showed that they were "preforming a Military Assignment, rather than a self-serving rampage."
(I do not support that explanation, since in most cases, the Raiders kept the money, stolen from the Banks, for their personal use. Raider Higbee moved to Texas and established a Bank. He was President of said bank -and lived happily thereafter - but not in Kentucky.
I neglected to explain - that all the Raiders, that she "nursed" were from Kentucky. I don't know if they were aware -that she was not from Kentucky - or was the Title "Kentucky Widow" equal to the Title "Kentucky Colonel"? Add to that - she dressed as a widow every day.

(05-26-2017 07:47 AM)Wild Bill Wrote:  All this reminds me of the old saying--Kentucky did not secede until 1865
Wild Bill. You have modified that statement, a wee bit. The way it was first used -Kentucky did not secede until after the war.

Seriously, Kentucky was predominately UNION.

The Raiders did not return to a friendly welcome. They did not want their names known. Some were not identified until Headley published his book in 1905.

As more and more veterans returned, they were elected to Public Office, so the mood was changing and their story was finally offered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017, 12:13 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - RJNorton - 05-26-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017 01:51 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Gene C - 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 05-26-2017, 08:35 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Wild Bill - 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 06-05-2017, 07:41 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-06-2017, 12:15 AM