Removal of Confederate Monuments
12-21-2023, 01:09 PM
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments
Thanks for your compliment Gene. I, too, am glad we can disagree respectfully.

Quote:Where else do the events of the past reside except in our memories, books, monuments etc.

It seems to me that you are conflating memories with memorials. One is not dependent upon the other to be able to remember. You and I both went through the Old State Capitol in Springfield together, yet Lincoln would not have known that building as we saw it because it wasn't the same building. It had the same exterior, but the insides were completely new after it was rebuilt. Does that fact take away from being able to remember Lincoln? Hardly.

Quote:While removing a monument doesn't force me to forget, it does remove an opportunity to remember.
Only if you let it. Plus, I recommended to David that he read David Blight's book Race and Reunion. If African-Americans see the monument in Arlington (or anywhere else for that matter) that perpetuates the myth of the "happy slave" are they not allowed to say, "we don't like this because it perverts not only our history, but the history of our country. It should not be allowed to do that." It seems to me that the only fair thing to do is to allow each community where a monument stands to determine if it still represents the majority of citizens. If a majority says no, then that's the definition of a democracy.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Removal of Confederate Monuments - Gene C - 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments - Rob Wick - 12-21-2023 01:09 PM