Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
01-30-2018, 12:28 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
If this subject of whether or not Surratt was in Elmira at the time of the assassination continues to plague you, please do read the portions that Steve posted as links. And, please read past the portions that pertain to the witnesses whom the prosecutor presented to testify as to Dr. Bissell's lack of "truth and veracity." Make sure that you read the portion for the defense where a number of reputable men testify to Bissell's better character.

Justice of the Peace Alva Jarvis said of Bissell: "...man of truth and veracity among most of the respectable portion of the inhabitants is good as far as I have ever known... at least among a portion and perhaps a majority of the respectable portion of them." Doesn't that suggest that the prosecution's witnesses might not be in that respectable portion? Jarvis continues and identifies the other men who testified as "generally men of strong prejudices." When asked to identify that prejudice, it appears to be related to religion -- in this case, mention is made of a dispute between Bissell and members of a Methodist church. However, religious bias might also be inferred in the fact that Surratt was a Catholic?? Jarvis makes a strong point in favor of Bissell when he states that he never heard anything against Bissell "until this trial commenced."

At one point, a defense witness' politics and Union loyalty is even questioned -- guess what, Democrat from upstate NY; can we spell Copperhead during the war? Not Lincoln-friendly, therefore unreliable?

Another defense witness, G.B. Penel testifies to much of the "distrust" of Dr. Bissell coming after the trial in Buffalo where the doctor sued the New York and Erie Railroad for injuries to his leg. Doesn't that substantiate Bissell's story about being on crutches due to a rail incident and looking for a man who could testify for him -- this being his reason for being in Elmira on April 14th and meeting briefly with Surratt? Other defense witnesses state that they have known Dr. Bissell for many years (some 25 years and more) and believe him to be truthful. BTW: Wonder what the outcome of that Buffalo trial was...

In conclusion, I would also recommend that you read at least the last three chapters of John Surratt: The Lincoln Assassin Who Got Away by Michael Schein. If you are like me and legal issues only bewilder you, I think that Michael's synopsis of the trial - with its great multitude of witnesses, its issue not only of Surratt's guilt, but also that of his mother's -- will help you make sense of most of it.

We focus so much on those who perjured themselves in 1865, in an attempt to indict the Confederacy. We need to realize that it continued in the 1867 trial. Dr. Bissell may have turned felonious in later years, but I would be very hesitant to paint him as a liar about Surratt being in Elmira at the time that Lincoln was shot. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 01-30-2018 12:28 PM